A car baby monitor is a gadget that is installed in a car that allows the driver to check on the baby in the backseat easily. It comes with a camera that focuses on the baby's face and sends live footage to a monitor which the driver can check with ease. Some models are even equipped with night vision that allows you to see your baby even when it is dark. So it functions just like a baby monitor and works in a car.
It is necessary because it removes the hassle of repeatedly adjusting the rear view mirror or turning back to check on the baby. Thus, this monitor helps in preventing accidents. It uses a simple technology that ensures that you put safety first.
Another device that is similar to the baby monitor is a basic baby mirror. It is cheaper than the baby monitors for cars, but it has limited functionality.
Top 3 Baby Monitors especially Made For Car
1. Yada Car Camera
The Yada monitor allows you to see forward or rear-facing seats. It often becomes necessary for you to know that your kid is safe. This camera can be mounted on the windshield to keep an eye inside the car.
- It has a wireless camera that can be placed flexibly in a headrest mound or a suction cup mount.
- These digital monitors provide a clear night vision and a 45-degree viewing angle.
- The hight width and breadth are 3 inches x 13.88 inches x 8.38 inches, respectively.
- The product can easily be set up as it weighs only 1.4 pounds.
- It has an operating range of 16 feet with a 5-meter cable.
2.Garmin Baby Cam
Generally, we are always worried about our kids in every situation, which makes it difficult while driving a car. Here is a camera that can easily fit into a car and at your home to easily supervise your baby's moves. This will allow you to keep in check with your baby without much trouble.
- The dimensions of this product are 13.9 x 8.6 x 2.0 centimeters, which is adequate.
- It has a display resolution of 480 x 272 pixels along with a white backlight.
- The lithium-ion rechargeable battery has a life of 2 hours per recharge.
- It weighs around 180.1 grams with a display size of 12.7 centimeters diagonally.
- It has a built-in memory, provides street names, and guides you through proper navigation.
3. Leekooluu Backup Camera
This is a 720p HD backup camera along with the monitor kit, which can be used in cars, vans, trucks, etc. with this camera, you can easily monitor the inside of your vehicle without losing concentration and focus while driving.
- It has a high definition image p[rocessor that gives you a vision of up to 30ft in darkness.
- The HD license plate camera has a 149-degree viewing angle, which gives a broader view.
- It has a 720p HD screen and is multifunctional in its menu options.
- The LCD display monitor is 4.3 inches and has a magnetic bracket that can be rotated 360 degrees.
- The camera is a high performance waterproof with six white led lights that provide clear crYstal vision during night and day.
How Does a Baby Monitor For Car Seat Work?
Unlike a standard baby monitor, a baby monitor for car is easier to install in the car. It uses a camera attached to the back of the seat in front of the baby's car seat. It transmits live video to the monitor in front of the driver. The monitor can be installed near the windshield, where it is easier for the driver to glance at the baby without putting their lives at risk.
The camera and the monitor are wireless. The only thing you have to do is turn on the camera and the monitor before you start driving, and it will transmit live video footage throughout your journey. However, it is essential to note here that these monitors will not work at night unless there is enough light in the car, or you have bought one with the night vision feature.
Baby Car Mirrors
This mirror is installed in such a way that, whenever you see your rear mirror you will be able to see your baby’s reflection on it. You can install your baby car mirror as per your convenience and monitor your kid easily while driving.
Top 3 Baby Car Mirrors Reviews
1. Lusso Gear Car Mirror
With this mirror, you can easily keep an eye on your child even while driving. Thus it is a very important product for almost all the parents whose kids are still very young and need to be supervised.
- It is shatterproof and has a very easy and quick installation.
- You can install it easily Within a few seconds, and you are ready to go.
- The quality of this product is very high as it is well constructed.
- It gives a wider as well as a clear view for a smoother and safer drive.
- You can adjust it in any direction as well as remove it when not in use.
2. Shynerk Car Mirror
While there is an infant in the back seat, it is always a worry for the parent who is driving. So here is a safer way in which you can both focus on your ride as well as take care of your kid.
- It gives a broader and clearer view in which you can keep an eye on your child.
- It is made of acrylic material that is shatterproof.
- It is easily adjustable according to your comfort.
- The size fits well into trucks as well as cars as it has adjustable headrests.
- This can be installed very easily without any tool.
3. Itomoro Baby Car Mirror
With this mirror installed in your vehicle, you can easily have an eye on your child sitting at the back. At the same time, it ensures that you look straight while you drive without losing your focus.
- It is durable, as well as ensures your safety.
- It has a large display of 4.3” that gives a clear view.
- You can adjust the mirror as per your need and comfort viewing angle.
- It has an easy installation technique.
- This mirror is quite firm and stable.
What to look for when Buying A baby monitor for car seat
Baby monitor for cars is an essential device that helps the driver avoid taking unnecessary risks and ensures the safety of the driver as well as the baby. Since it is such an important gadget, it only makes sense to find and buy the right one according to your needs.
The camera should have a wide-angle so that all the baby's movements can be seen without any problem. It should also be an HD camera to provide high-quality video feed. A lot of times, cameras shake and move, so you should opt for a stable and firm camera. It would be best if you prefer a camera with the night vision option for additional safety. You can also choose for the monitors with multiple cameras to get footage from all the angles. It would help if you also opted for a wireless camera as they are easier to use.
The video monitor should have a large display so that the driver can have a good look at the baby. It should be easy to install and have features that let you adjust brightness and contrast or switch to night mode. The video monitor should be wireless so that they are not a hassle. It should be easy to set up. It should have a windshield mount or a suction cup to attach to the windshield.
This is an essential feature that you should look for in a video baby monitor for cars. It allows you to view your baby on the monitor in low-light settings. Alternatively, you can turn on the car's lights, but it might disturb the baby if it is sleeping. You should make sure that the picture quality during the night vision mode is good.
Wireless baby monitors use batteries. They are easier to install and do not require separate power points, unlike the baby car camera that use wires. With wires, they consume more power and need to be installed in a specific way, which can cause a hassle. Moreover, in such cases, the child is always at risk of pulling the wires and damaging the device.
Wireless monitors use batteries for the camera as well as the monitor. The ones that have wires require power sockets with a specific voltage requirement. There are some baby monitors for cars that use wireless cameras, but the monitors need a power source. It would help if you opted for one that suits you.
An easy installation is less of a hassle. There are some such monitors that you can easily install on your own, and they do not require separate power sources. The wireless ones are the easiest to install as they need batteries, and then you can strap the camera to the seat and attach the monitor to the windshield.
Pair with your navigator:
You can pair your camera to the navigator, and it will act as a monitor, removing the need for a separate baby monitor. However, changing the navigator from GPS to monitor can be a hassle, even f it accepts voice-command. Moreover, a baby monitor has additional settings and can be placed anywhere on the windshield, unlike a navigator.
Baby monitoring app:
When you install a baby monitor in your car you can connect it with your phone using a baby monitoring app. You can even convert your phone into a baby monitor. You can mount your phone anywhere on your windshield and get a full view of the baby using baby monitoring apps on your phones. There are apps like Ahgoo Baby Monitor, Cloud baby Monitor, Dormi Baby Monitor and many more that work in both Android as well as iPhone. Moreover, a baby monitor will have a larger display, but if you are comfortable with your phone, you should go for it.
If you're seeking for the Best Baby Monitor Under $100 and hoping to find real reviews from real parents. You should check out this list I created of the top Baby Monitor Under 100 Dollars For 2021.
DIY Baby Monitor For Rear Facing Car Seat
Baby cameras and monitors can be expensive, so people generally turn their phones, tablets, or navigators into baby monitors for cars. You can install several apps available on your phone or tablet. These apps come with a varied number of features. Some of them are free while you have to pay for others. You should select an app that allows you to have the features that you think are necessary, like brightness, zoom, and changing to night vision.
Is a Baby Monitor Better than a Baby a Car Mirror?
A baby monitor is better than a baby car camera for many reasons. A baby car mirror does not have the same features as a baby car monitor. For instance, you can zoom in and out using a car monitor, but you cannot do the same using a baby mirror. Baby car mirrors also do not use night vision, which means that to view the baby in a low light setting, you will have to turn on the light inside the car, which might disturb you and irritate the baby when it is sleeping. Moreover, you cannot place the mirror on the windshield wherever you want, unlike a baby monitor. You need to place the mirror at a certain angle where you can view the baby. Baby car mirrors are cheaper than baby monitors for cars, but as discussed above, they have limited functionality.
Is Using a Baby Monitor Safe For The Driver?
Using a baby monitor is safer than using a GPS navigator. The driver does not have to give a lot of commands. They can place the monitor on the windshield wherever it is comfortable for them so that they do not have to bend or turn their head to look at their baby.
While driving with a baby, the driver would want to ensure that the baby is safe and comfortable, and a baby monitor provides them with a live feed of the baby all through their journey, enabling them to stop worrying about the baby and focus on the road.
It also helps prevent accidents as the drivers no longer have to turn back, again and again, to check on their babies, avoiding unnecessary risks that arise from taking their eyes off the road.
The monitor also comes with additional controls where you can get the angle that you require without having to move the camera or the monitor physically. The night vision feature on the baby monitors allows you to view your baby in the dark with ease. A baby monitor does not interfere with any other part of the car. It is easy to install, and you only have to switch it on for it to work. While baby monitors are a bit expensive, they are an excellent buy to ensure the safety of you and your family.
Tips When Driving With Kids
There are several things you should do while driving with kids to ensure their safety as well as yours.
- Ensure that the seat belt is fastened: This is a fundamental rule of driving. If you are driving with kids who can unbuckle their belts, make sure that you tell them about the importance of seat belts and be strict about using them.
- Kids should always sit in the back seat: Kids should always sit in the back seat because they might distract the driver if they sit in the front seat, and sitting in the back seat also ensures their safety. If your kids are small enough for car seats, it is advisable to use them as they are safer than regular seats. Make sure that the car seat is installed correctly in such cases.
- Do not text and drive and never let the children stay alone in the car. Do not take unnecessary risks when it comes to your family.
Your kid’s safety is your first priority and for that installing a baby monitor or a mirror in your car is must. It will help you in focusing on your baby’s movement while driving. There are monitors that get connected with your mobile phone easily that make the use easier for you. Focus on the cons before purchasing a video baby monitor for car or a car baby mirror to avoid issues in future.
To get the best insights and tips to find the best baby monitor, I read more than 250 reviews online and ask my friends or others parents. From all their insights and my own experience, I've built this list of the best closed circuit baby monitor.